Is Weight Loss Surgery For Me?
Weight loss is a journey, and at Chestnut Hill Hospital, we're here to help you every step of the way. Our fellowship-trained bariatric surgeon, JOHN MEILAHN, M.D., performs a variety of minimally invasive weight loss procedures which may provide the life-changing results you're seeking. .
You may be a candidate for weight loss surgery if you are:
- Between the ages of 18 and 65
- Obese with a body mass index of 35 or above (CALCULATE YOUR BMI HERE)
- Struggling with an obesity-related condition like hypertension, heart disease or sleep apnea
- Currently trying to or have tried in the past to lose weight through other means such as diet and exercise
- Psychologically ready for weight loss surgery and willing to commit to a whole new lifestyle
- Not drug or alcohol dependent
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?
If you meet any of the requirements above, we offer a free, private consultation with our Bariatric Surgery Program Coordinator. She'll review your health history and personal goals, and provide in-depth information on weight loss surgery options, including the benefits, risks and expected results of each. If it's determined that you're a candidate, you'll work closely with the team to meet pre-operative requirements, make lifestyle changes and get ready for a successful experience.
We recommend that you verify coverage with your insurance company for bariatric surgery. You can do this by calling the member services number on the back of your card. We can verify for you when you come for your appointment as well.
Call (215) 693-6384 or FILL OUT OUR QUICK FORM to request your one-on-one appointment. We also host free support groups to explore weight loss and wellness solutions. SAVE YOUR SPOT HERE.
WHAT DOES THE PROGRAM REQUIRE?
- Call the office or register online. Laurie White Meilahn, bariatric coordinator, will talk with you and help you select an appointment to see Dr. Meilahn, no large group sessions are required.
- Dr. Meilahn will spend time talking with you and will order the necessary testing to proceed with a personalized plan for surgery.
- Meet with our dietician, Carlie, and begin to think about your dietary habits and the changes that will be necessary. Carlie will design a personalized plan for you.
- We will see you monthly as testing is completed.
- We will offer support as you commit to make the lifestyle and emotional adjustments necessary for a successful operation.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY?
- According to the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) multiple large studies have shown bariatric surgery to be an effective and durable treatment of morbid obesity. Surgeries work by changing the signals that regulate set points for body fat, a tool no traditional diet can provide. Also, studies show that more than 90% of bariatric patients are able to maintain a long-term weight loss of 50% excess body weight or more when combined with dietary and lifestyle changes.
- Bariatric surgery significantly improves or resolves obesity related conditions, including type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, hypertension, arthritis, asthma, acid reflux and more.
- Large scientific studies have shown that severely obese people who chose bariatric surgery live longer than those who do not. Very good safety results are achieved by carefully preparing patients for surgery.
- A happier and healthier you is more than just physical transformation. Studies have shown that self confidence and wellbeing are improved. Many people have improvement in physical mobility allowing them to enjoy their lives in a way that they had lost. Weight loss truly gives people a new lease on life.
WHAT ARE SOME OF THE RISKS INVOLVED WITH WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY?
All surgeries carry some risk. Pneumonia, blood clots, infection, bleeding, leaking at staple lines, as well as ulcers, hernia and gallstones may occur, but are infrequent. Generally, the risks associated with weight loss surgery are significantly less than the risk of remaining morbidly obese. Your Bariatric Coordinator and surgeon are there for you to answer questions and assist you throughout your weight loss journey.
Patient results may vary. Consult your physician about the benefits and risks of any surgical procedure or treatment.
Free Private Consultation
Schedule a free private consultation with our Bariatric Coordinator.
Unsure of your Body Mass Index? Use our free calculator.